What's being reviewed?
The Standing Committee on Social Development is currently reviewing the Child and Family Services Act.
The Committee is undertaking this work because they are required by law to do a review of the Child and Family Services Act every five years. This review in particular is examining what prevention activities exist within Child and Family Services, and whether or not other activities are needed.
What's been done so far?
- On Thursday, November 18, 2021, the Committee held a virtual public meeting where members of the public had the opportunity to tell Members their personal experiences and ideas with Child and Family Services in the NWT. Due to the personal and sensitive nature of the meeting, it was not broadcast.
- On April 29th, 2021, the Committee heard from Northern Birthwork Collective about their perspectives regarding Child and Family Services in the NWT
- On April 29th 2021, the Committee heard from the Foster Family Coalition about their perspectives regarding Child and Family Services in the NWT
- On April 26th 2021, the Committee heard from Aurora College about their perspectives regarding Child and Family Services in the NWT
- On April 20th 2021, the Committee heard from YWCA NWT about their perspectives regarding Child and Family Services in the NWT
- On March 15 2021, stakeholder letters were sent out from the Committee to inform stakeholders of the review and inviting feedback
How can the public participate?
The Committee has questions for residents of the NWT that, if answered, will greatly assist them in formulating their recommendations to the GNWT on how to change the Child and Family Services Act.
If you need to request the survey in another official language, or if you need hard copies, please e-mail LA_PAC@ntassembly.ca for assistance.
Members of the public can weigh in on the topic by e-mailing a letter with their perspective to the Committee Clerk. In this case, the public can e-mail Committee Clerk Jennifer Franki-Smith at Jennifer_Franki-Smith@ntassembly.ca
The Committee continues to gather written submissions from the public and responses from the survey.
Once their review is complete, the Committee will write and submit a report containing recommendations regarding the Child and Family Services Act based on the perspectives they learn from different groups, people and organizations throughout the review process and submit it to the House for consideration.
To learn more information about this Review, e-mail Public Affairs and Communications at LA_PAC@ntassembly.ca.
Please note: The Standing Committee on Social Development knows that Child and Family Services is a challenging topic for some people. If you are affected by the sensitive nature of the topic of Child and Family Services, please reach out to the NWT Help Line 1-800-661-0844, or to counsellors in your community.