The eleven Regular Members of the Legislative Assembly comprise the Standing Committee on Accountability and Oversight (formerly known as the Standing Committee on Priorities and Planning). The committee's role is to:
- Review issues which have government-wide implications, including all issues related to Devolution implementation, and the overview of the budget and fiscal framework;
- Review Government of the Northwest Territories reports on financial and performance results and program and policy evaluations to ensure anticipated outcomes are being achieved and accountability is maximized;
- Coordinate Sessional business scheduling and planning in cooperation with appropriate Ministerial representatives;
- Coordinate Committee public consultation efforts with respect to budget and fiscal matters;
- Coordinate Committee strategic planning efforts;
- Monitor and evaluate Ministerial performance issues;
- Consider issues related to land claims and self-government negotiations;
- Consider issues related to public engagement and transparency efforts by standing and special committees;
- Consider issues related to federal and international relations;
- Consider the budgets and financial management of any boards and agencies that are outside the responsibility of any Standing Committee; and
- Consider any other matter referred by the House.
The Standing Committee on Priorities and Planning of the 19th Assembly was formally created on Friday October 25, 2019 by a motion of the Legislative Assembly. All regular Members of the Assembly are members of this Committee.
On December 10, 2019, the Committee was renamed the Standing Committee on Accountability and Oversight.
The Standing Committee, in addition to its own mandate, acts as a coordinating body for the work of other Standing Committees. In this capacity, the Committee has approved a policy on attendance and participation by video and phone conference that applies to all Standing Committees. The Committee has also approved a policy on accessibility and transparency of committee work and meetings, that also applies to all Standing Committees.